1 tbsp coconut oil
1 leek, finely chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
150g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
400g tin green or Puy lentils, drained
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400ml veg stock
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (optional, don't add - to make vegan)
1 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
salt & pepper
For the topping:
1 cauliflower, separated into florets
500g butternut squash, peeled & diced
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180 Fan/Gas 6.
2. For the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the leeks and fry for 4-5 mins.
3. Add the carrots, mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook, stirring regularly, for 4-5mins.
4. Add the sage, lentils, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, Tamari, chilli flakes and stock and stir. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat until simmering and continue to simmer while you make the topping.
5. For the topping, steam the cauliflower and butternut squash until soft. Season well with salt and black pepper, then mash until smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
6. Continue to simmer for a further 1-2 mins, adding a little water if the mixture is too dry (simmer for longer if the mixture is too watery). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Transfer the filling mixture to an ovenproof baking dish, then spoon over the topping and spread into an even layer. Bake the shepherd’s pie in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling.