1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1 large red onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp ground cumin
700g cherry tomatoes
200g red lentils
2 vegetable stock cubes
Small bunch fresh parsley or coriander (optional)
1. Finely chop the red onion and garlic. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins until lightly golden.
2. Add the cumin and mix thoroughly for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook over a high heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes turn into a bit of a mush.
4. Rinse the lentils well and add to the pan. Make up the stock using 2 stock cubes and 1 litre of
boiling water. Stir to combine well before adding half of the stock to the pan. Leave the lentils to cook until soft, about 15-20 mins, adding more stock, if required, to loosen the mixture in the pan.
5. Once the lentils are soft, add the remaining stock and transfer in batches to a jug blender to process into a smooth soup.
To serve, add a few twists of ground black pepper and sprinkle with parsley or coriander.