By Katie Gleeson
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp water
1 large red pointed pepper (or bell pepper), preferably organic
1 red onion
1 – 2 cloves of garlic
1 x 240g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
Pinch salt and ground black pepper
1. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic
2. Add olive oil and water to a saucepan (this is to steam fry to prevent burning the oil). Heat up slowly.
3. Add the onion to the saucepan and sauté until onion has softened.
4. Wash the pepper, slice and remove the seeds. Cut into bite size pieces (approximately 1 cm). Add to the onions and continue to gently sauté. Add the garlic to the saucepan and continue to sauté until the red peppers soften.
5. Add the tinned chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp of tomato puree, and the salt and pepper.
6. Allow the sauce to simmer for at least 1 hour. The longer it has to cook the sweeter the flavour. Stir regularly.
7. Once the sauce is cooked, add a sprig of chopped basil. Serve with whole-wheat or gluten free pasta (e.g. brown rice penne, spaghetti) and salad.