140g desiccated coconut
3 egg whites
3 tbsp xylitol
1 tsp lime or lemon juice
1 tbsp cornflour
3 small squares of good quality dark chocolate (e.g. Green & Blacks)
1. Combine the coconut, egg white, xylitol, cornflour and lime or lemon juice and mix well into a stiff paste.
2. Divide into 12 walnut-sized balls and shape into rectangles or flattish circles.
3. Place on a lined baking tray and bake at 180°C/350°F/ Gas mark 4 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 150C/350F/Gas mark 2 for a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. Melt the chocolate in a bowl inside a saucepan of hot water. Dip one half of each coconut bar into the chocolate and place on a lightly greased or lined plate. (Alternatively you can drizzle the chocolate over the bars)
5. Chill in the fridge to set. One serving is 3 bars - enjoy!