1 Whole chicken or equivalent pieces (1-1.5kgs)
1 tbsp allspice berries
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
4 spring onions, chopped
2 scotch bonnet or other hot chillies, finely chopped
1tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp soy sauce
juice of a lime
1. Grind the allspice and peppercorns and combine with the onions, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg and chillies.
2. Mix and loosen with a splash of olive oil. Pour into a wide bowl and stir in the soy sauce, sugar, salt, and the lime juice.
3. Add the chicken pieces one by one, massaging the mixture into the chicken as you go (don’t forget to rub under the skin, too)
4. Marinate for as long as you can but preferably overnight.
5. Heat the oven 10 180°C. Place the chicken pieces in a warmed roasting dish and cover with foil.
6. Cook in the oven for 45 mins, then rest the meat until you’re ready to barbecue.
7. Finish cooking the chicken pieces on the barbecue, grilling for a minute or two on each side.